- Thoroughly wash the wound with copious amounts of normal saline under pressure using either a large syringe , rubber bulb or a pulsatile lavage system.
- Remove large particles of dirt with a toothed forceps.
- Sharply excise [ using a No. 10 blade scalpel or sharp scissors] all slough, devitalised tissues and grossly contaminated tissues.
- Wash again.
EXCISION OF LESION
|No. 15 blade scalpel|
|2 skin hooks|
|Fine non-toothed forceps|
|Suture cutting scissors|
- Prepare area.
- Outline ellipse with suitable marking material.
- Place slight tension on the surrounding skin.
- Cut thro’ skin at right angles to the surface with a No.15 blade knife.
- Complete skin incision , use skin hooks to hold skin edfges and excise lesion.
- Undermine [if necessary] the skin edges with a single sweep of the blade, while holding it with skin hooks.Suture wound.
Shivaram Bharadhwaj DipNB, FRCS(Ed), FRCS(Plast Surg).
Consultant Plastic Surgeon
Email :[email protected]